With the completion of my block of the month projects I was able to turn my attention back to the table runner I started last month. I was able to use all of my new techniques I’ve learned to help make assembling the main blocks so much easier!
After laying each block out I glue basted them to together. I then used chain piecing to keep each segment organized. I would rotate between half square triangle pieces to the rectangular piece and back. Not only was I organized, but it went so much faster that way.
The finished blocks are interesting. My 11 year old thinks they look great. I’m not so sure. This was definitely a lesson on picking fabric. I was trying to stick to the color scheme of the example piece, but I should have just gone with my own route. I’ll make sure and do that with the next table runner I do.
Those are just two of the twelve finished blocks. We’ll see how it looks once it’s all assembled.
Now that those are completed, I had no choice but to start working on my applique stitching again. After doing some more research I discovered I really do just need to go slowly and pivot when necessary.
To practice I cut out some leaves and circles and glued them to another piece of fabric. I then proceeded to stitch them with a zigzag stitch. I figure the zigzag will be easier to learn on then the blanket stitch.
I’m pretty pleased with how these turned out, so now I get to start on stitching the poppies for real. I have a feeling it will be incredibly slow going, but I’m excited to get them done and finally assemble this thing.